And after some thought, I decided it would be a porn website.
There's two reasons.
Firstly, porn is, and always has been, a leader of the marketing industry in technology. Their first-to-market innovation is so significant it's often adopted as standard practice.
- They decided to distribute content through VHS over Betamax, a standard quickly adopted by the rest of the market.
- Later they would choose Blu-Ray over HD-DVD, again adopted as standard.
- They had mobile optimised websites when we were using WAP to connect to the Internet on our cool flip phones.
- They were live streaming video content with interactive forums long before Google Hangouts.
Secondly, a popular website would have crazy amounts of data to use to drive strategy and optimisation. Imagine spending just a day exploring their website analytics.
- What keywords drive the most traffic?
- What categories of content are most popular?
- How long does the average person watch a video for?
- What's the value of niche (long tail) content (fetish categories perhaps)?
- How important is SEO (remembering they can't use any SEM)?
- What are the click-through rates like on banners (both their own ads and those they serve on their sites)?
- What portion of users convert to monetised models and how it is optimised?
It's an innovative industry with rich data to make decisions with. Could be fun.
Either that or a bank. And that would probably be less gross.